13 Jan What age should you introduce your puppy to grooming
Advice on your young dog from the Cheshire grooming experts
Choosing the right age to introduce your puppy to grooming is something that we get asked regularly at The Pet Retreat. Puppies should generally be introduced to professional grooming when they are about 10 to 12-weeks-old as long as they have had their second injections. Once they’re in the routine you’ll then want to bring them every four to eight weeks depending on their breed.
In order to make your puppy’s first visit to our dog groomers in Cheshire as stress free as possible you’ll want to do a few things to prepare them for the experience. Here are some tips that will help them relax when they visit: –
- Ensure that your puppy is comfortable being held by gently touching all parts of his body ahead of his first visit.
- You’ll want to make sure they’re comfortable being held by holding them yourself as much as possible.
- Introduce your puppy to a brush at a young age and show them there is nothing to be afraid of.
- Gently brush them, building up the time spent brushing them each day. If they get stressed or over agitated stop brushing.
- Ensure your puppy is used to their paws being held and their ears been touched.
What happens if my dog has never been groomed before?
If your dog is well into adulthood and you still haven’t introduced them to a grooming routine or taken them to a dog grooming salon then it’s never too late. Older dogs can still take to grooming at any age, but they may require a little more patience.
Our team at The Pet Retreat are experts at grooming dogs of all ages and temperaments. No matter how frigid or nervous your dog is, we aim to give them the best experience possible and hopefully leave them yearning for another visit.
Book your appointment at our dog groomers today
You can book your appointment at either one of our dog grooming salons today on either the Knutsford or Bowdon salon pages. Our packages include the “Peover puppy pamper” which is great for puppies and young dogs up to the age of six months. Contact us today to find out more and book your puppy’s first appointment!